Sunday, September 5, 2021

New AAR: Dyson Sphere Program

 First - Previous - Next

Introduction

It looks even cooler in motion

Hello, and welcome to my new writing project for Dyson Sphere Program (DSP). If you're unfamiliar at all with this form of writing, the idea is to construct a narrative out of a game, and accompany it with pictures or videos. Personally I find it entertaining to write them out, and I find they give me a good amount of motivation to play through the games further than I might otherwise. Games like these without a definite end-point and long play times can really make for difficulties in getting very far, as I'll often want to do something else partway through. Always with the intention to return later, but still.

I do hope you enjoy! Please do share and/or comment if you like this. Or even if you don't like it! It's always great to see people interact with your works.

Both of these pictures come from the default main menu. They make for a great introduction.

Let's get on with thing shall we?

A Brief History Lesson

 Some indeterminate time ago, humanity built themselves a supercomputer, one so advanced that calling it a supercomputer doesn't do it justice. With it they could upload themselves to the computer, and there live virtual lives. They turned it on, uploaded everyone, renamed the supercomputer the CentreBrain, and people were happy. The designers were smart and built larger than they needed to. More computing power meant more virtual people, and better simulations. Except they unloaded everyone before finishing the power requirements to run the thing at full capacity.

It's time to dream big. The CentreBrain is well equipped to live a long, long time with what it currently has. There's no rush, which means we have plenty of opportunity to dream big. Real big. Have you ever heard of a Dyson Sphere? Popularized by one Freeman Dyson, the proposed sphere is to built around an entire star. That way you'd collect all of the solar energy coming from the star. All of it. If you're unfamiliar with the size of stars, that might not seem like much of a challenge, but let me assure you, stars are massive. Correspondingly the energy output from such a device would also be massive. Why build a fusion plant if you already have one that's naturally occurring?

This would be a huge undertaking, obviously. Unfortunately for me there's only enough spare parts lying around for one mech. The ancients didn't exactly think of what to do to keep manufacturing going when everyone moved into the CentreBrain. Which means building this massive megastructure has become a one-man job. Yay me?  How hard could it be?

I have some support at least. Me and others have formed the group COSMO, and while I'll be piloting the mech, they'll be there to help research and provide morale support. And training. Using a real body in the real world isn't something I've ever had to do before, having been "born" in the CentreBrain. Should be fun to visit the vastness of the Real World. My supervisor has selected a world in a remote system for me to start. It has all the raw resources I'll need to get my journey started.

You can see the planet off in the distance, the one orbiting that gas giant

 

I think it needs to be said. The real world is beautiful. The stars and planets are a real sight to behold.


  First - Previous - Next

No comments: